Thursday, March 11, 2010

Here and now

A PCRV recently told me that I should start writing more as my service is winding down..and not for other people but for myself so that I can remember things when I leave. I think that this is a good idea. So if things don't make sense to some of you reading this, well, deal with it. It has now become more of my personal memory bank than anything else.


Last week we held a Peace Corps Exhibition. It involved months and months of planning but it finally materialized. I was coordinating the event and in the end, it was worth it. I was skeptical about how it would turn out. Up until two hours into the event I was nervously sweating at the outcome. We planned for stations, activities, and displays. Things got complicated as we hadto plan out all of the little details. Brian, another PCV, was a great help with all of the little details. He thought about things that I overlooked, such as would there be water at the venue the day of the event when we are smack-dad right in the middle of a drought?

We had a schedule for the event that was very full. When it came to the morning of the event, we had a few flies in the mud, but nothing too big. First off, the town hall double booked the venue for the day. Thank god we got there ten minutes before the other group, otherwise we would have been out of a venue! The other event was supposed to be a fashion show try-out. The apparently needed the stage. We felt bad, but hey, the show must go on. They ended up using the upstairs for their event and we used the open space.

After setting everything up, we made a coffee run and then opened the doors. For the first hour there was hardly anyone there. We made the schedule flexible and held off on the welcome address (of which was televised) and the trivia. Once people started filing in, we started the activities. There were plenty of interviews that were also televised. It was good publicity for the Peace Corps.

I'm glad that that is over so now I can have a somewhat clearer schedule. Someone recently told me I should slow down and enjoy the rest of my service, and that is exactly what I am going to attempt to be doing. I didn't get much rest after the event, as we went out for drinks to celebrate at "The Lookout" (one of my new favorite places to go for a drink- it's got an incredible view of the Castries basin and the vibe is good). We attempted to give one of the new response volunteers a "tour" of rodney bay afterwards, but since it is Lent, it was pretty dead. So we went back to my place after a few Pitons and slept til I had to leave for my volleyball tournament the next morning. Ah, those twin size mattresses I have and the foam chair pads to sleep on are just miraculous for your back. Not to mention, I only have one pillow so the other volunteers had to deal without. They say PCVs can sleep anywhere, anytime, and anyhow. Try sleeping by me and you might change your mind.

This weekend is looking like some relaxation is going to come into play. Since I have been so busy with work I have been very much out of the loop with the volunteers. I am hoping to somehow get back into the loop, if that is how you can say it. So tomorrow I am looking at taking the day to the beach. I need to shift my energies and rejuvenate. I've been feeling a little blah and need a little pick me up day. Saturday will be beach day too. Yep, that's right people, two beach days in a row...you jealous? Well I have been working my butt off lately and I need it. Beach, beach, here I come. Let's just hope I can work on this uneven tanning thing I have going. My arms and my legs are a much different shade than the rest of me because I never have beach days and that's really the only part of me that ever sees the sun. I might have to put out a press release for people to wear sunglasses this weekend so they don't get blinded. (A lot of St. Lucians don't wear sunglasses ever). So here's to rest and rejuvenation.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sounds like you've earned those beach days. ENJOY!

Miss you!