Monday, January 18, 2010

2010 thoughts of COS

It's been almost two months since I have even looked at my blog page. As life gets more and more involved here, I find that there is less to write about. Not because life is less interesting but because the things I want to write about are far more personal and delicate to write about. Instead of writing about things that I see everyday or how I feel about something "foreign" to me, I have found myself identifying those things as part of home.

A lot of returned volunteers that I met before service had told me about what it would be like to leave your host country at the end of the 27 months. I never expected that I would begin to feel like this with still nine months to go. Right now, I have absolutely no idea how to describe this feeling in words, but I am sure that some volunteers would identify with me without me having to describe it. This is home now, as much as I still remember Seattle. I have built a life here, I have worked hard to adapt myself to the life here and I find that in many ways I mesh better with this life than the life back in the states.

Sundays are much better here, that's for sure. In the states, on Sunday, people prepare for the week to come. The stores are open late so that people can get their shopping finished and their errands completed before Monday morning. In St. Lucia, Sunday is family day. Sunday is a day of rest and relaxation. Plenty of food and companionship. It makes you prepared for when Monday comes. This concept is one that I can attach to for the rest of my life.

As I was saying before, with nine months left in my service I am beginning to feel the sorrow of leaving. :( I know if this is how I am feeling now, imagine how hard it is going to be in October (if I decide to leave). We'll see.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I found your blog while looking for the address to mail something there. Sorry we didn't meet, I'm one of the PCRVs that came in with the last batch of trainees and am on Antigua now.

I liked your photos from other posts. This entry brought back memories of my "downhill side" which sometimes feels like a "downhill slide" that keeps getting faster.

But I urge you, write more, not less at this time. You're writing for future-You, more than people back home. It will be useful to you after you do finally COS. (And you'll be glad you had it for your DOS.)